In my humble opinion, there’s no better frosting than chocolate ganache. This vegan chocolate ganache is made with coconut milk instead of heavy cream. So not only is it lighter (in texture, not so much in calories), but it has a wonderfully delicate coconut flavor that pairs perfectly with chocolate.
Why make a vegan chocolate ganache anyways?
Because you forgot to buy cream at the store. Or at least that’s why I made this vegan ganache!
Or, because, you’re vegan. Which is also a totally valid reason.
Or, because you love coconut. That works, too.
What can I use this ganache for?
- You can use it to frost a cake. Simply drizzle, spoon or slather it onto a cooled cake (chocolate and vanilla cakes work wonderfully here), and then let it harden at room temperature. The result is a glossy, almost mirror-like finish that will be very hard not to dip your finger into (don’t do it!).
- Chill the ganache in the fridge and then whip it in a Kitchenaid using the whisk attachment for a faux-buttercream frosting that’s vegan. Seriously, you won’t regret piping this on top of your next batch of cupcakes!
- Pour the ganache into a square cake tin, chill until totally hard, then cut out squares or roll into circles. Dust with cocoa powder, crushed pistachios, rose petals, or powdered coconut and tah-dah: vegan chocolate truffles!
- Spread it on toast for breakfast. Seriously, I’m not even joking.
My recipe for vegan chocolate ganache
Vegan chocolate ganache
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 400 g extra-dark (min 70%) baking chocolate
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces (as small as you can) and place in a glass bowl.
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk on medium heat until it's scalding hot but not boiling.
- Pour the coconut milk on top of the chocolate, and let it sit like that for 2 minutes. Do not touch it!
- After 2 minutes, stir the mixture with a spatula until it becomes super silky and no lumps remain.
- Let the ganache come to room temperature and then chill in the fridge if whipping. Otherwise, drizzle it on top of your favorite cake or cupcakes and and let sit until it's slightly hardened.